New Students

Welcome to UBC Biomedical Engineering!

This guide goes over everything you should do to prepare your arrival at UBC. If you have any questions, please contact us:

Visit the Student Service Centre (SSC)

Create your Campus-Wide Login (CWL). After logging on to the Student Services Centre, you can:

• Register for courses

• Review your financial information (payments are due May, September, and January)

• Review your awards and fill in the acceptance form

• Update your personal information

Register for courses

A list of courses that can be counted toward your BME degree can be found on our courses page. Courses included in the course page may or may not be offered every year. A list of all courses offered at UBC can be found under Registration in SSC.

Deadline for adding and dropping courses: Course Change & Withdrawal Dates.

Mandatory courses: All MASc and PhD students are required to register for a thesis course all year around (both in Winter and Summer terms) until their program completion.

Once you are registered, you can obtain a UBC card and U-pass from the UBC Bookstore – bring a photo ID and your student number.

Apply for Health Insurance (BC Medical Services Plan)

UBC requires all students, both domestic and international, have basic and extended health insurance for the duration of their studies.

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

A SIN is required if you expect to work on campus (e.g. as a Teaching or Research Assistant) or receive a major scholarship paid through the UBC Payroll system.

How to Apply: Fill in the Employment Contract Form (provided by your employer) and submit it along with the SIN application and supporting documents to a Service Canada Centre.

Remember that a SIN and Study Permit have expiry dates and must be renewed at least 3 months in advance. The ultimate responsibility for maintaining up-to-date documents lies with the student. Remember also that it is your responsibility to ensure that your passport remains current.

Apply for Awards

SBME Specific Awards

Tuition & Fees

G+PS Scholarship databases

Listed below are some internal and external award and scholarship databases that may be of use to current and prospective students.

UBC Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

UBC Student Financial Assistance and Awards

Scholarships Canada

International Scholarships – Government of Canada

Canadian Bureau for International Education

Student Awards

Universities Canada

Funding opportunities to study/research in Germany

Find Housing

Some on-campus housing is available but most students live off campus. See the UBC Housing Office for information about both types of housing.

International Students

For further information specific to international students visit the UBC International Student Guide.

Fill out supervisor agreement with supervisor

All incoming MASc and PhD students and their supervisors will be given a set of expectation documents. Students are required to meet with their supervisors at the onset of their program to discuss roles, responsibilities, and expectations of both student and supervisor. More information can be found on your program specific page.

Other Guides

Graduate Studies Grad Guide: This guide, prepared by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, is full of information about all the support services available to graduate students at UBC. It covers registration, finances, housing, grad student rights and responsibilities, medical and dental plans, and much more.