UBC’s School of Biomedical Engineering (SBME) and Amgen British Columbia (Amgen BC) are thrilled to announce the inaugural launch of the 2022 Amgen Golden Ticket at SBME Innovates!
SBME Innovates, located at the Biomedical Research Centre on UBC’s Point Grey campus, is an incubator hub for early-stage UBC life sciences ventures, providing dedicated wet laboratory space, equipment, building services, and more. Amgen BC is pleased to sponsor two incoming ventures with a year of FREE wet lab space* (and more!) at SBME Innovates.
What can ventures expect from an Amgen Golden Ticket?
- One year FREE wet lab space* & access to in-house equipment at SBME Innovates (full list of equipment on the application form)
- Scientific mentorship from experienced Amgen BC scientists for 1 year
- Access to partnership support through SBME’s network of mentors, investors, and corporate and clinical partners
- Access to SBME Propels programming (commercialization, leadership training, professional skills, and partnerships)
- Applicants must be from the UBC community
- Submit your application through our online submission portal by the deadline for consideration
- Shortlisted ventures will be invited for an interactive, collaborative venture introduction discussion with the adjudication committee
- Two ventures will be selected to receive the Amgen Golden Ticket, and two runners-up will still be offered Amgen BC mentorship
The application process is currently open through February 17th 8am PT. Submit your application for consideration here.
- Jan 18 to Feb 17: Call for Proposals
- Mar 3: Adjudication Committee shortlist finalists
- Mar 4: Finalist companies notified
- Mar 7: Finalists present to Adjudication Committee
- Mar 9: Results announced
- Mid-March: Onboarding of new venture into SBME Innovates
More information on SBME Innovates, including a detailed equipment list, can be found on the application. If you have any questions, please contact the SBME Partnerships Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
*Wet Lab Facilities available to each individual venture:
- Three benches sized: 200 x 85cm
- One CO2 incubator
- Three shared biosafety cabinets
- One dedicated shelf in -80C
- Half of a full-size -20C freezer
- Half of a full-size 4C fridge
About SBME Innovates
SBME Innovates is an incubation hub for early-stage UBC life sciences ventures on their path to market viability. We host ventures for 18-24 months, providing access to dedicated wet laboratory space, equipment, and building services, free of charge. This residency also connects ventures with the SBME community while giving them access to SBME communications channels to help bring awareness to their work.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes. Amgen’s Canadian research facility in Burnaby, British Columbia plays an important role in contributing to the company’s 40-year legacy as a global leader in the identification, isolation, production and use of human proteins as therapeutic agents.